Sunday, July 19, 2009

"Let's get the party started"


Luke is our kid who is difficult to discipline because he acts so indifferent to the consequences we threaten him with for disobeying. If we could actually restrict him from using his imagination for a period of time as a consequence for misbehaving, then we might have an effective strategy. But since we have yet to figure out how to lock up his brain, we resort to the standard "time out."

Today Luke mischeviously stole one of Reid's "favorite" toys (that had been lost in a pile of rubble for who-knows-how-many-months and only rediscovered as a "favorite"), broke the tail off the prized turtle-keychain-souvenir-from-Maui, and dropped it down the heater vent. Reid burst into tears, sobbing about his broken turtle that could NEVER be fixed again, and so I carried Luke up to his bedroom. I told him he would have a 30-minute nap (time-outs aren't usually this long, but it's a good excuse for an after-church quiet time). Luke, still giggling, tried to negotiate:
"90 minutes."
"90 is longer than 30."
"5 minutes."
"No, you'll be in here for 30 minutes. Half an hour."
Still unfazed, Luke smiled and sang, "Let's get the party started!"

11 comments:

jfuentes said...

Oh Luke - I love when we are trying to discipline our kids and they do something that make us want to bust out laughing (but we have to hold it together until we are out of their sight - this can be so difficult). If you figure out any successful ways to discipline him, let me know - Dash is very similar.

The Matthews Family said...

Love it when people share their own parenting struggles, makes us feel better knowing we're not the only one with an unreachable, "discipline problem" toddler.

Anonymous said...

What a funny kid!! I need to seriously start writing down all the hillarious things he says to us in class :)

Janet said...

I can't wait to see these cute kids of yours! It sounds like they've all inherited your intelligence and humor :o)

Meg said...

That is so hilarious. I can't wait to tell Greg.

amy stansel said...

oh brittany i am laughing so hard! That is too funny. It also made me feel so good reading your post and realizing my child (ethan) is not the only kid who acts like he could care less about the "punishments" we come up with for him. It's never any big deal. It's so frustrating!

laurdacooj said...

he is purely brilliant! I love this story... LUke- you are one super kid! I sure miss you guys!!! I love how our kids keep us laughing... from around the corner:) loveyou guys!

willmottfamily said...

I so appreciate that story! It gave me the giggles. Wow, if only children came with an instruction manual. And apparently, yes, we are as crazy as you are (4th child). Oh well, bring on the insanity! It keeps life fun.

MK said...

Oh funny! him and Cody are so similar. We can't find anything to use as effective discipline. NOTHING works with him either and he has this crazy brain that is always going and going. If you find anything that works well, let me know so I can try it too.

Jamie and Caro said...

Thanks for being my number one fan on my blog! I love it when I spend all the time posting and then people actually make comments. Anyway, yes you were right on Jamie, he was the one on the left. Also, lets do get together and do lunch. I would love to see Jane and catch up on life! Your boys are growing up so fast...were does the time go?

Rick and Kara said...

hilarious!