Sunday, January 6, 2013

A Special Place in Heaven

This afternoon I accompanied Derek to attend the sacrament meeting of the Rattlesnake Hills Ward in Prosser, another small town about 20 minutes down the road.  A baby girl, Laine, was being blessed today and the parents had invited Derek to attend and be part of the priesthood blessing circle since he was the doctor who delivered her.  Although I had met the family a few times before and knew that they liked Derek, I was amazed at the high regard in which they held Derek, even to the point of mentioning him over three times collectively during testimony meeting; even the mother-in-law commented on "the good doctor" and remarked that there is a "special place in heaven" for doctors like him who help bring these precious spirits into the world.

I often get to hear accounts from Derek himself about his interactions with patients.  Just yesterday he delivered a healthy baby via emergency c-section due to a prolapsed umbilical cord-- a condition that often results in severe brain damage or death of the baby.   It is easy to take for granted the gravity of the situations that require his skill or even more often his advice on a daily basis.  I know it is often hard for him to maintain an optimistic perspective when he so frequently is counseling people who are seeking medical advice for problems that they have brought upon themselves due to immoral lifestyles.  Today was such a sweet contrast to those such situations, and to hear firsthand how Derek is also able to use his skills to bless and help those who are seeking to do exactly what Heavenly Father intended for all of us, and that is to come to earth and receive a body for this earthly experience.

I am so blessed to be married to this righteous man and I marvel that he continues to get better all the time.  He even mentioned that looking down at our family from the stand today, he thought that maybe we should have another baby.  Just when I think I have this guy figured out.... :)

2 comments:

Jenna said...

Beautifully said, Britt. Thanks for sharing such a sweet experience. You are both such great examples to us.

{And I think you, Mandy, and maybe Cami should start organizing something :) }

Anonymous said...

Ya have another baby :)

I only see a small part of that frustration from patients,but when you get to see at least one person grateful for your help, it makes all the difference!