This race was so much fun. Initially, I was disappointed that I am still struggling off and on with plantar fasciitis, and have thus not trained above 7-8 miles for the half marathon that I hoped to do. Derek ran that race-- the Sage Rat half marathon began at 8 am at Sunnyside Walmart. My 12K began in Grandview. We both finished in Prosser.
I love running with Michelle. We never lack for conversation, and I think it's fair to say that we push each other to work harder. Between having her for a running partner and the adrenaline from running a race, I cut 1-2 mintues off my average training pace! Running by myself I have typically been running 9-10 minute miles; yesterday, my longest split was 8:37 and my fastest mile was my last, at 7:49. It felt so good to run fast, and to feel great because I was distracted by having fun with my friends.
I loved the fact that I recognized so many people that I'm getting to know through school (we have managed to stay connected even though I'm homeschooling), community (Bill's Berry Farm/Michener Family, a sponsor pictured in back ground, whom Natalie and I photographed last year at their awesome U-pick berry and apple farm), etc.
The weather was perfect-- sunny but not too hot-- right around 72 degrees.
Unfortunately, Derek and I didn't meet up at the finish-- he wasn't sure when I would be done, so he rushed home to get our kids ready for the ward picnic.
What a great day! I am blessed.

view full image

view full image
"Just finished Sage Rat 12 K. 2nd and 3rd place Women's 30-34 with my awesome running buddy & friend, Michelle!"
No comments:
Post a Comment