Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A Real Valentine's Celebration

On Valentine's Day, in addition to celebrating love and Reid's 7th birthday, we welcomed home our good friend Edgar Fuentes from his third year-long tour in Iraq! There were over 100 friends, ward members, and of course family gathered for a surprise celebration to show our love and gratitude. I was surprised at my own emotions-- I've grown very close to his wife Jessi (whom I've been acquainted with since junior high but have grown to be great friends with in the past 2 1/2 years-- a true testament to the power of Visiting Teaching.)

Being friends with Jess this year has prevented me from feeling sorry for myself as Derek works long hours (at least he still came home most nights). I've witnessed firsthand what military families sacrifice when fathers and husbands leave to uphold the values and freedoms not only for our country but also for our brothers and sisters around the world. Most of us as Americans ascribe to these beliefs, but so few of us do something about it. Thank you, Jess and Edgar.

Check out the coverage of Eddie's homecoming celebration that was featured on the front page of The Coloradoan.
Pay special attention to the photo with flags on the right side of the page. No, that's not a terrorist wearing pink gloves or a KKK member.... that's just Reid and his cousin Adin bundled up in their hoodies because it was frigid! Bummer, because they were both decked out in their Army camo fatigues.

No comments: